Today we discuss “middle-of-the-night insomnia”… so you sleep normally when you go to bed but then wake up in the middle of the night without being able to fall asleep again.
This leads to us commenting “I need a goodnights sleep”.
In our fast paced life, sleep is often overlooked / underestimated in terms of its impact on our wellbeing. But we should bear in mind it’s so fundamental like air we breathe or water we drink.
Adequate sleep is precursor to all the functions needed for optimal job performance.
Studies have shown that a good night sleep starts the moment we wake up.
The way we plan and move through our days play a huge role in how well we will sleep that night.
These mid night insomnia often leads to lack of concentration and in turn reducing work productivity.
Here, we have some Don‘ts that you should consider when you are tossing and turning in the middle of the night:
- Don´t stay in bed, but get up and do something relaxing and calming.
- Don´t watch the clock and count the hours – this will definitely stress you more. Instead counting sheep is more helpful.
- Don´t scroll in internet or check out the latest post in social media. Scrolling may never be ending with too many “latest posts”.
- Don´t work – this may become an habit.
- Don´t eat – you will regret it because of the extra calories
Let’s look into some Do’s:
- Stick to a schedule.
- Read a book
- Practice stress reduction techniques.
- Maybe your mattress has worn out and needs a change.
Hope these help you to sound sleep and help you to good health and happy living.
If symptoms persist it is recommended to consult a medical practitioner or seek medical advice.
These are only tips not any recommendations by medical profession.